Small Claims

Small Claim Cases

Small claims court is designed to help parties who do not have attorneys resolve their disputes quickly and inexpensively. In small claims court, claims must be less than $20,000. Small claims judges can only award money judgments.

What happens after filing a claim?
Once the Defendant has been properly served (notice of suit), they have must provide a written answer to the court by the 14th day after the date of service. Once the defendant answers, a court date will be set, and both parties will be notified via mail of that date and time.

NOTE:  If you move or have a change of address or phone number, you must notify the court of that change.  Failure to do so may result in you not receiving notification of the court date and the case being dismissed.

How can I request a Motion for Continuance?
The motion must be submitted to the court at least 14 days prior to trial and must be done in writing. If the court does not receive the motion within the required deadline, the motion for continuance will be denied.

What about the Venue?
Generally, an action in small claims must be brought in the county and precinct in which the defendant resides, the county and precinct where the incident, or the majority of the incidents, that gave rise to the claim occurred, the county and precinct where the contract or agreement was performed, or the county and precinct where the property in question is located.